Alright guys, to be perfectly honest, I’ve always had a hard time being motivated to drink water, other drinks sound so much more enticing, coffee, tea, and on the weekends a class of wine maybe.
Recently I went to Tony Robbins’ Life & Wealth Mastery Events, and part of the event was doing a 10 day cleanse. I felt so ready for this, I eat healthy already, and thought this will be no big deal. When talking to my mom about it she said “Oh bummer, we’re at this beautiful hotel, it’d be so fun to have a glass of champagne or coffee in the morning.” And I realized, never once had it occurred to me that on a cleanse you wouldn’t be allowed to drink coffee or alcohol… duh! Can’t believe I didn’t put those two things together.
So 10 days of drinking only water followed. Here are some facts I learned about water…
- You should be drinking half your body weight in oz. of water every day.
- For an easy math example:
- If you weigh 200 lbs >> Drink 100 oz. water every day
- For an easy math example:
At the event, because I only could drink water, I drank six to eight, 12 oz. bottles every day, between 72 and 96 oz. every day. So quite a bit more than I technically needed.
- By the time you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated!
- The part of the brain that recognizes thirst is very old, and not very accurate, so when you feel thirsty you are behind! Meaning you should drink water preventatively, drink it when you aren’t thirsty.
- Your brain can’t tell the difference between hunger and thirst. Often times when you feel hungry, you are actually thirsty!
- They suggested when you feel hungry, drink a glass of water and wait 30 min. Often you will no longer be hungry, or your hunger will have diminished.
Because I was drinking so much water at this event, I was well hydrated. Typically, because I am hypoglycemic, I often get that “starving” feeling where I need to eat instantly. However, when I was drinking so much water, I noticed even when it was meal time, I wasn’t super hungry; definitely didn’t have that “starving, I have to eat now!” feeling.
At the event we would do mini 1 minute massages to wake each other up (long days, you are there 10-12 hours) and get engaged, and my partners kept telling me, “Wow, you feel like gumbi!” “Your muscles are so relaxed and loose, it doesn’t feel like you have anything to massage.”
I was surprised to hear this because usually I always have tight muscles in my neck, shoulders, and upper back from having been a gymnast. But they were right, I felt those muscles and they were all loose! I hadn’t noticed, but my neck, shoulders and upper back felt great, no tight muscles or aches.
Moral of the Story
Drink water because of the great effect you get and because of how you feel, not because it is the drink that is the most exciting or tastes the best.
And yes, you have to drink just plain water, drinking tea, coffee, crystal light, Gatorade, etc. doesn’t count at all. Just regular, plain water.
To Make It More Exciting...
- Squeeze some fresh lemon into your water, extra bonus: it’ll also help alkalize your body, more on that in a different post.
- Or infuse your water with some of these yummy recipes: http://dish.allrecipes.com/fresh-ideas-for-making-infused-water/
Comment below: What inspires you to drink water? Should you be drinking more than you are already?